Are you working harder and getting less done? Here are some ways to know if you are being productive or if you are just spinning your wheels.
And here’s the text for those that prefer to read:
With all the conflicting advice out there, how do we know if we are being productive? Some of us value productivity more than others. I think we Type A’s are a bit more on the obsessive side when it comes to being productive than the rest of you.
I know I am feeling that compulsion, and I just had my first baby! Instead of fretting about my productivity score for the day, which I would consider an A++ if I can get anything done besides nursing baby, pottying baby and feeding myself, I should be focused on that most important being in my life.
Anyhow, let’s talk productivity. I need to get this “bug” out of my system! :D
Here’s when you are NOT being productive...
- Working 12-16 hour days to cross stuff off your to-do list.
- Just having a long to-do list.
- Being a Supermom/Superdad and getting everything done all the time at your own personal expense.
- Feeling like you are “too busy” to do things that matter to you. (i.e. spending time with family, personal time, writing, reading, working out, socializing, etc.)
- Looking successful on the outside but feeling a sense of emptiness/dissatisfaction on the inside.
Here’s when you ARE being productive…
- You have a system-not just a list-for getting things done.
- You feel (mostly) balanced, as if you have time to do the things you value most.
- You can get into a state of flow in your work and in your life outside of work.
- You feel a sense of overall wellbeing - spiritually/psychologically, physically and socially.
- You may not get everything done, but you do get the most important things (to YOU) done.
In our next episode, we’ll get more practical with some productivity tools you can explore!
So, where do you fall on the productivity spectrum? Are you in harmony with productive living, or do you feel breathless on the treadmill of life just trying not to fall off?